Author Topic: Don't set the tank on fire...  (Read 1758 times)

Zofo

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
Don't set the tank on fire...
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »
Apparently all it does is gives him the ability to run faster, he dies in the same amount of time regardless or so they say in this thread

http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/inde ... 885&page=0

Paranoia

• Game Server Admins
    • View Profile
    • http://www.paranoiapersonified.com
Re: Don't set the tank on fire...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »
Since in L4D, the fire burns until you die, once you've set an enemy on fire, as long as you can avoid them, they're dead.

It seems valve have implemented a slight speed improvement to try and reduce the number of people setting the tank on fire and then running away. :)

Zofo

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Its still very cloudy for me, does the tank die faster by fire?  It dies after a certain amount of time regardless from what i've been reading, 25 seconds on easy to 40 seconds on expert

DeathByDribbling

• Site Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 16:33:22 PM »
I read it as he doesn't die if you don't shoot him and don't set him on fire.

If you set him on fire then he dies after a set amount of time, however he isn't really taking damage over time - i.e. he can still have 6000hp, but after 40 seconds of roasting he just dies.

Playing the game I have always found setting a tank on fire then running away works just fine.  Very occasionally I have seen *if* the tank can't find you after a set amount of time he disappears (you get this sometimes in an end game finale if you setup on one corner of the map and the tank happens to spawn at the other corner).

The thing I don't understand is why after flaming a tank people insist on sitting around shooting it instead of just running away.  The number of times I have been the last one left because one by one my team can't resist the urge to stop and shoot the burning tank.  They all die leaving me alone to dodge a wave of special infected and a horde before they respawn.

Zofo

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 16:43:59 PM »
I like to shoot it, although it is situation dependent, I will always run after it if its chasing a team mate to try to turn its attention on me usually if i have more health but also to shoot it if it knocks the player down because u have that window where he concentrates on the player, also if I have the height advantage i will always hang about

But sometimes i just run my little heart out....run forest run

Carth

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 17:56:18 PM »
You should shoot him if you're a long way from him and he's chasing someone else. Shooting him slows him down, to help a green survivor escape. But yeah I agree DBD, annoying when people stay and shoot (like bots), and get killed.

It used to be that setting him on fire doesn't do damage, so shooting him doesn't kill him faster unless you do 8000 damage, which you very rarely see on the "most damage to tank" page. He just dies after 40 seconds on expert when he's on fire, whether you did 0 damage or 7999. I don't know if they made him move faster on fire in the last update, I didn't see anything in the update notes.

edit :Quite a convincing video.. I guess that explains why I've always said the tank can outrun healthy survivors and other people say he can't. I was seeing him on fire always.

DeathByDribbling

• Site Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:09:19 PM »
Tanks only go fast in a straight line - if you introduce corners it slows them right down, and seems to prompt them to chuck a rock which takes them ages.

e.g. last night killed a full strength expert tank with no fire, no help, yellow = 50 hp, only uzi + single pistol.  Just ran it round in circles in some corridors, took all 400+ bullets from uzi and a few pistol clips but it went down and I was never in danger.

Unfortunately all my team mates were dead and the only respawn room was past all the special infected :(

Zofo

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 14:38:38 PM »
haha i would have liked to see that