Author Topic: World of Tanks - Free MMO  (Read 3946 times)

Zeus

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
World of Tanks - Free MMO
« on: June 16, 2011, 19:01:24 PM »
World of Tanks is a free MMO and suppose to work like Battlefield Heros does - Free for game but you can pay for quicker upgrades and stuff

heard its suppose to be quite good

anyone tried it ?

Evoroth

• Registered Forum Member
  • The Renegade Master
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: World of Tanks - Free MMO
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 19:29:56 PM »
Been sorely tempted. Also like the sound of the World of Warplanes the guys that made it are bringing out.

Bugs

• U jelly bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
I played WoT and found it to be not very good. The concept was good, but I was being sent into games as a newbie going up against people whos tanks could essentially one shot me from across the battlefield. No thanks.

alter_ego

• Way of life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
my pc can't run it LOL

Evoroth

• The Renegade Master
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 19:13:51 PM »
Downloading it now just to give it a crack. A friend of mine is giving it a crack and he's one of the few people I know that have played MMO's longer than I have, so I thought I'd give it a crack.

Zeus

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 16:37:54 PM »
well a good source of mine said it was very good

Evoroth

• The Renegade Master
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 16:53:03 PM »
Although I'm unable to last the duration of a battle at the moment, it seems pretty good. It's definitely visually good and the mechanics are a bit different to your standard MMO but it's taking me a while to work out what I'm doing properly. I'll stick with it though as it seems the only non-standard F2P MMO worth playing at the moment.

JustMoose

• Pod Cast Team
  • justmoose.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • justmoose.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 22:52:41 PM »
I played it about a fortnight ago and it got stale quickly...  :-\

Rentapest

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
Tried this, it looked fun. But too much work to get a decent tank going. I cba spending hours mind-numbingly grinding just to get a turret upgrade. :P If it was just a nice fun multiplayer mashup, it'd be good.

Evoroth

• The Renegade Master
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 07:20:37 AM »
It's a bit grindy. I can only cope with it for about an hour before I get fed up.

DeathByDribbling

• Site Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 13:06:32 PM »
Been enjoying this.

The basic concept is there are 10 tiers.  You start at tier 1 and grind up to tier 10 by playing the game.  You do this by playing 16v16 tank battles.  It's not unbalanced because the game matches you so you only fight tanks of comparable power.  So for example when you first start playing you'll only run into other tier 1 newbies.  If you are dying a lot that just suggests you are not very good at the game :)  You get one life in a battle, which means if you die you are out - at that point you can choose to watch the rest of the battle, or leave and go play another one (although the tank you were using stays locked in that battle till it finishes).

For each tank you can upgrade it a bit with better guns, chassis, engines, turret and radio.  This basically boils down too making it go faster and punch harder.  Equally your tank has crew that gain experience as you play making them better meaning your tank does better in battle.  The last upgrades are the next tier upwards tanks.  You can move your crew to new tanks too (with penalties).

There are 3 nations, and 5 different types of tank - you go up the tech tree's unlocking them.  As you go up the maps change to stop them getting stale and the tactics develop.  So at first everyone has a light tank, later on with all the different classes in play you have to adjust your tactics.

It's a freemium game which means you can play the whole thing without spending a penny, but you can use real money to buy ingame gold which basically allows you to grind faster.  Also needed if you want a clan or other goodies.

While it's no TF2 it's fun and very popular.  There are millions of players - the European servers tend to have about 40,000 players playing at any one time for example.