Author Topic: Windows Security tips for LAN  (Read 6327 times)

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
Windows Security tips for LAN
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
Since your pc will be physically safe if you've followed the information from http://www.nervousenergy.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

Here are some general windows tips and pc advice to help secure your pc from trolls :)

1) Make sure you have set a BIOS password (also make sure you either remember it or write it down and leave it at home / in your car)

2) Make sure in your BIOS you turn the option of booting from devices other than your HDD OFF

3) Set your windows account to logon with a password (THIS IS A MUST)

4) microsoft in their infinite wisdom doesn't give you an option to easily switch off the Accessibility button on the login screen on vista and above which allows anyone to mess with some settings on your pc without a need to log-on. This is kind of stupid so i would recommend doing the following (i can confirm this works as i've done it)

4a)  first download and extract the files i attached to this thread
   4b)  secondly run the "Take Ownership" registry entry and click through to accept the alteration of the registry.
   4c)  find \windows\system32\utilman.exe, right click and select the new "Take Ownership" menu option.
   4d)  rename utilman.exe to utilman.exe.old
   4e)  copy the utilman.exe you downloaded from this thread and paste it into your \windows\system32 directory.
   4f)   restart your PC.  You'll notice the accessibility button still there on your log-on screen however it will now be disabled. Should you want to enable it again just rename the current utilman.exe file to something and rename the original one back.

5) Make sure you set a screen saver for a 1 minute time-out and make sure you set it so you have to enter a your password to unlock (believe me this can be a little annoying at first but it will save you all kinds of hurt)

6) Try and make sure that when ever you leave your PC you "lock this computer".  Should you forget to do this hopefully step 5 will cover you :)

That's about it really.  Any questions feel free to ask :)

EDIT - Corrected the filenames in point 4d
        - Fixed point numbering (thx monkeh)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:04:55 AM by Humbug »
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

https://www.g2a.com/r/humbug    <-- the cheaper way to buy steam games :)

<---VM Gamer Service :)

ErnieCool

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Security tips for LAN
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
Are people really that mean in the UK?

Been to several LAN's in the netherlands and never took any precautions, no locks, just left my mouse and headset etc. Could be that i just got lucky :P. But thnx for the tips anyway, i'll be sure to atleast password protect some stuff. Not sure about the screen saver cause i might go mental if it keeps going to screensaver every time i turn around to talk to someone or something :P. Just make sure to remember to lock it if i go away ^^.

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
yeah the screen saver can get annoying like i said but as people will be having a few beers it's a little safer as you're gonna forget to lock it.  It's not a guarantee that the screen saver will save you but from the last LANs i have been at i remember standing at the bar thinking shit i forgot to lock my PC to come back finding my PC locked.  Okay someone may of tampered with it in them few seconds before the screen saver kicked in  but it's better than leaving it open for 30 mins :)

to answer your question about the UK - YES, when people have had beer expect the trolls to appear!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:57:29 AM by Humbug »
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I thought aboout this only yesterday, I now have a password to protect myself, and I also now know to press the windows key with 'L' to lock it up.  The things you can learn with the help of google huh?  (Yes, yes, I bad, I know).

How to BIOS password please?  I'll ahve a look at the BIOS options when I get home, hopefully it's obvious...

The first number 4 sounds like I'll be able to mess it up, so if you dont hear from me before 6pm tonight, send out the search party.

The second number 4 seems easy enough.

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »
lol, thanks for pointing out my lack of counting ability :)

point 4 is easier than it sounds it's just run a program, rename a file then copy a file.
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

Ryan

• Game Server Admins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
as an addition to this, you should also:

remove your card details from steam

consider disabling autologin on steam

frymaster

• Community Officers
  • Your argument is invalid, you are a squirrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
Are people really that mean in the UK?

no, but we like practical jokes ;)

basically, if you leave your PC unlocked, your wallpaper will be changed, left mouse button will be bound to "explode" in game, and text-to-speech will be on :D

this is an alternative way to disable the ease-of-access (the first section, up to the text "the next option") - this way is easier but not quite as neat:

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-customization/29982-disable-remove-ease-access-button-logon-screen.html

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
yeah fry i did that last night and cos i wasn't payin attention to it too much i fooked my pc and had to use the DVD to do a system restore :)

so while that's a decent alternative i feel replacing the utilman.exe safer and easier.. not editing of files or stuff :):D

then again i've been known to fail every now and then :)
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

lifeless

• Game Server Admins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 13:06:32 PM »
also a must: up to date anti virus with active scanning enabled and make sure windows firewall is enabled (or a 3rd party one). if you are on vista or win 7, make sure to select "public" when you are asked about what network you are connecting too.

frymaster

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 13:20:28 PM »
oh yeah, I wouldn't reccomend the second method there, just the first :D

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 13:26:10 PM »
yeah deffo the first option :)

As long as you do the first option on frymaster's post the calcs thing then that is the easiest... i like the " this has been disabled by the administrator" light box style message though from that utilman :)
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

Enef

• A Grim, Bloody, Fable.
    • View Profile
    • http://enef.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 14:19:37 PM »
Sidenote: If the ne guys see your computer unlocked, instead of locking it for you the practical jokes that may get pulled include but are not limited to the following:

Binding your push to talk key to explode in tf2 (hi willow o/)
changing your desktop background to some kind of inside scottish joke (hi fruitbat o/)
making it so that your entire computer is "handicap" enabled. (hi me o/ though my computer was locked, this was humbug messing with the settings he mentioned above -.-')
-Anything i can think of that could be mildly offensive/funny!

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 14:24:38 PM »
tbf i did do it to excessive as well :)
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

frymaster

• Community Officers
    • View Profile

ErnieCool

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 18:10:31 PM »
better put a post-it with lock it on my monitor then ;)