Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program - general, opening chat  (Read 7384 times)

SexuallyAbusedPanda

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 14:29:09 PM »
we should team up at some point so i can pick your brain at time ;)

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 15:12:14 PM »
I'll be on this again tonight, the missus is off to the cinema, so yeah, hit me up no problem. The screenshots I took will help too once I get them uploaded to the cloud thingy.

Biggest points to think on are

1) Asparagus staging
2) isp in vacuum and at sea level of the engines you choose. isp, (Specific impulse), means the efficiency, so high number on that means burn for long time. Some rockets are designed for sea level and some for vacuum, (the atomic one is like 220 at sea and 800 in vacuum, whereas the LV T-30 is 320 and 370, one being good for maneuvers in space, the other good for take off)
4) Power output of those rockets or thrust weight ratio.
3) Maneuver nodes...which I haven't quite worked out yet, but getting there.

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »
I promised you some screenshots, so here you go:

Building my rocket:

Take off:

Getting there:

We got orbit:

Let's go to the Mun:

It can look stunning at times:

Here comes the Mun:

Comin' down nice and easy:

Yes, yes, that rocket was just a little bit too big:

He's so happy in this shot:

Going to another planet now, this is Eve:

I landed in the sea:

Goddammit that's beautiful:

Another planet now, this is Duna:

Standing on my capsule on Duna:

A very successful Mun landing:

Few more to see here if you wanna.

As you can see, it looks great at times this game and is still a great challenge and a lot of fun. Highly recommended and especially if you have young offspring, they'd love it also.

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

STEAM SUMMER SALE

ENDS IN 7 HOURS

A TENNER

You'd be daft, mad, silly AND stupid to miss out on this one. Seriously. Get it here now peeps, if you don't get a tenner's worth of enjoyment out of it I'll get you a beer next LAN. Maybe 2.

Still playing this a lot. Got to set your own challenges at the moment, (Still in alpha so only a sandbox mode available right now, the beginnings of the career mode should be implemented in the next update which is on it's way soon, currently being tested I think), so trying to make a ship that can go anywhere, a rover to charge about on the Mun with and a space station right now. Next on the list is some kethane mining via the kethane mod and bases on other planets and moons.

There's a decent community of seemingly nice people to ask for help or challenges, ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum.php ), and a lot of mods for new parts and stuff found here http://kerbalspaceport.com/ so boredom is not allowed.

Go get it, you wont regret it....probably. Actually, for a tenner you will be happy, I guarantee it...with beer. Win-win.

O0

Skully

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 13:12:47 PM »
so I bough it and slowly learning. Sadly I had a nice rocket, but it just wouldnt stay on the right path on launch :(

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 22:44:52 PM »
shame I wasn't here that day, this thread (plus all the videos) got me somewhat interested.... let's hope it's on discount again during the next few days  :-\

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
Skully, hit me up sometime and I can give you some pointers. You probably need to add an SAS system in somewhere and press 'T' to enable it. You can toggle it on or off with 'T' or hold 'F' to temporarily disable it for manual corrections. Find them in the control tab. Two types, advanced and normal, they both take care of different things but it seems either of them will do at this alpha stage but also, your engines need to be added to the rocket as symmetrically as possible to avoid rotation. I hope you are using the symmetry tool down the bottom of the build UI, use it lots. You can also press x to cycle through the different symmetries. 

Hold shift and use your mouse scroll wheel to zoom closer when building, this is great for fuel lines and struts...struts are very useful.

Alt and left click on a part will make a copy of that part and everything attached to it. So alt click a decoupler and you'll have a copy of the decoupler and the tank that's attached to it as well as the engine and any struts or aerodynamic cones etc as well. This can be useful.

Go do the building and flying tutorial, it will save you a lot of problems and time, especially when deciphering the maneuver nodes, they take a bit of getting used to.

But yeah, gimme a shout anytime. I got the 'in-laws' (ish) down for a week from today though, so i doubt I'll be on much, if at all, for this week. Just checked and it turns out I've managed to log well over a hundred hours already. Only had the game for like 5 or 6 weeks. DAMN YOU ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY AND AWESOME NEW GAMES DEVELOPERS!!!

Pk: Get it, you wont regret it. I've heard a few people say it's more addictive than minecraft though, so beware...

If anyone else NOT on my friends list got it then feel free to add me if you wanna ask anything, feel free.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:39:29 PM by Monkeh »

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 16:24:14 PM »
Haha  :D

If it's anywhere close to space, gmod or minecraft, I'll get it --- an then I need someone of you to tell me when the new decade has begun...

DAMN YOU ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY AND AWESOME NEW GAMES DEVELOPERS!!!

sic.

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 20:07:26 PM »
It's on sale again!

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 15:16:28 PM »
It's also the best selling steam game on Linux http://news.softpedia.com/news/Last-Steam-Summer-Sale-Day-Brings-the-Most-Successful-Linux-Game-Kerbal-Space-Program-369863.shtml

Get involved people, KSP is going to go huge.

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 19:41:02 PM »
I'm in. And all I can say it's terrible - terribly addictive  ;D

After achieving more or less stable orbits with my first two creations i seem to fail to reach escape velocity with vessels that CAN actually change their course and maybe do a re-entry...

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 21:02:42 PM »
Have a look on youtube for Scott Manley. His videos are excellent. I recommend installing the kerbal engineer mod. Calculates your delta v and thrust to weight ratio as you build your beast. Take note of the isp of the rockets you're using and where they shall be burning. Research how to do your gravity turn. Experiment and have fun.

Gimme a shout on steam when I'm back and I might be able to give some pointers.

See you on the Mun.  :)

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:22 AM »
After lots of trials and more error I've managed to put a halfway usable transport rocket together - my only problem at the moment are satellites and their bloody slow speed if you use ion thrusters.

I'll check them out once I finally did some work... terrible game, eats up so much time...

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Ion thrusters are next to pointless unless you're attempting to move a VERY light weight probe or something. I saw a thread on the KSP forums where soemone used a pair of them for downforce on a Mun rover...which is epic. If you do use them, make sure you got electricity via solar panels or something, they won't work without charge ans well as xenon.

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 02:02:35 AM »
I managed to keep a metal sheet in orbit with just 48 ion thrusters :D

but thats not my initial goal... back to normal engines, i finally figured out a good design to go for the moon, but when i'm there i always lack fuel.
need to maximise efficiency and work out a few more things - still havent watched a single youtube tutorial or installed any mods  ::)