Author Topic: 0.22 Update OUT NOW!  (Read 1529 times)

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
0.22 Update OUT NOW!
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
So it wont be long until we get a nice new update to my favourite space program simulator, the latest version, (0.22), will introduce the beginnings of the career mode with a tech tree and science to do.

Science points are what unlocks the next tech node in the tree. Experiments can be done in all kinds of places to earn science points, you'll get different results and different amounts of points depending on where on which world you currently are. An EVA in orbit will allow some science to be done and you'll get different results at the South Pole than on the equator of Kerbin and different results for each of the major craters on the Mun, they're calling them 'Biomes'. Only the Mun and Kerbin will have Biomes for now, more to follow in later updates.

Once an experiment is completed you can beam back the results to Kerbin or bring them back manually for extra science points.

This one new feature will add a tonne of gameplay mechanics and the tech tree for unlocking new parts sounds fiendishly addictive.

Here's some videos you may wish to take a look at, but yeah, this update starts to flesh out the actual 'game' elements of this wonderful piece of software. GO BUY IT!

Kerbal Space Program - 0.22 Update - Science

Kerbal Space Program 0.22 Features Video

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:13:38 AM by Monkeh »

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
Re: 0.22 Update OUT NOW!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
This was released last week and is generating a lot of chatter on the forums. Some love it, some hate it and everything in between, but what some seem to forget is that this is only the first step of a career mode that will include finances and training and all sorts of other stuff.

I haven't played it yet myself as I have been very ill with food poisoning this weekend, (on the bright side I lost 10lbs in 3 days!), so I can't comment, but here's some more info in this thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53061-The-Grand-0-22-Discussion-Thread

Now go do science!

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
played quite a lot with it now (interplanetary space, yay!) and i have to say i like it

only how the research modules work is what annoys me most  - you cant save the labs results after an observation but have to keep it open and bring it back like that

and that most of the experiments lose points when sending them via comms is also a problem

besides that you'll really learn to appreciate even the smallest parts
I finally got a working spaceplane going with the few parts i had, managing to reach the south pole of kerbin after an hour of flight that i couldnt accellerate on, landing (mostly) safely; version 2 i much better now, even though it still cant get faster than 400 m/s (and that was top speed in 14km height)

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 13:29:07 PM »
You'll find planes get a LOT faster as you get into thinner air. My one and only decent plane effort, (see the screenshots thread for any details, good ol' Molerat!), could fly up to around 21K before spluttering out and was stuck around 400-500 m/s up to around the 14-15K altitude mark. Once we got above that, with air intake dropping to below 1 but above 0.1, we started getting very fast indeed, I think the maximum speed I managed was just over 1300 m/s.

Throw some more air intakes on your plane and you'll be able to suck up a few more precious molecules of oxygen at higher altitudes.

Peacekeeper

• NE Highlander!
  • o0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 14:24:44 PM »
with just a single type of wing and only one kind of winglet, a decent plane of that size with that much fuel and that many science modules was quite an awesome thing to have... had to balance it out lots of times by transferring fuel inbetween tanks, keep the intake above 0.1 and everything. I had several times where it nearly fell apart  ;D

that all makes this achievement even better.

will post a screenshot later