Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 5176 times)

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
Oculus Rift
« on: January 06, 2016, 16:37:29 PM »
Well my dream of owning an Oculus Rift died as soon as they released the price lol.  I was prepared to go to £400 but at a price of £499, it's just too rich for my blood.

Another factor is that the Oculus tool says i need to upgrade both my CPU and my GPU for prime performance lol.

noooope..

* Humbug looks around to buy something else for xmas :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 16:39:19 PM by Humbug »
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

https://www.g2a.com/r/humbug    <-- the cheaper way to buy steam games :)

<---VM Gamer Service :)

ThEGr33k

• Community Officers
  • Ich habe die Kraft
    • View Profile
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
Yea, that is steep :( Oh well, give it a few years :D
        My Youtube Channel

Humbug

• Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 17:47:19 PM »
i might get the Vive depending on how much more it is than the Rift.  The vive comes with the controllers and a 'lighthouse' base unit which allows u to roam around your room.

Being as it comes with the full setup (unlike the rift which only comes with an Xbox controller) im willing to pay that little bit more...

wait and see till the end of next month i guess till the pre-orders come round
Cheers and Good Game

Humbug

https://www.g2a.com/r/humbug    <-- the cheaper way to buy steam games :)

<---VM Gamer Service :)

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
Couldn't resist any longer. Vive is on its way to me next month. I am excite.

DeathByDribbling

• Site Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 17:25:34 PM »
Have used rift, galaxy gear, google cardboard at work.  Not seen a vive yet.  Imo rift was still very beta would give it a while before splashing cash.

Galaxy gear is the most polished, but it's more limited in what it can do - just a toy to show your friends, not something you would seriously use a lot.

All have the potential to make you feel varying amounts of sick, depending on how prone you are to that sort of thing and the game you are playing.

Personally I'll wait a while and see how it all pans out.  Like most fads it's got a pretty good chance of dying a death in a year or two, but if it doesn't and the hardware and software continues to improve I might be tempted...

Crunch

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 00:51:46 AM »
If you're ok with waiting overclockers are doing free postage on the vive pre order, with a june estimation for delivery

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/htc-vive-vr-headset-pre-order-with-expected-delivery-june-2016-vr-000-hc.html

ThEGr33k

• Community Officers
  • Ich habe die Kraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
It's not the most accessible market about is it? £700 for Vive and then you need a PC that can push it and I assume games that support it. Not sure about all this joy stick (wii) type stuff... Just seems a Fad like DBD said.
        My Youtube Channel

Monkeh

• Community Officers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 15:13:57 PM »
I've had a good few hours in the Vive now and forced a fair number of gamer and non gamer friends to having a go.

Practical universal concensus of frickin awesome. Mind blown mentioned many times. Smiley faces all over the place and more than a few wows and whoahs. I took it on holiday this weekend past as we had a few families staying in a big house in Tenby. The kids couldn't get enough of it and neither could the adults once the kids were in bed. Even super sceptics were converted after a quick walk around in The Blue.

I don't think this is a passing fad. There are well over a hundred games and experiences available on steam already and many more on their way.

Admittedly I'd been upgrading the PC into a beast before these came along so it was slightly more accessible for me but I have not a single jot of buyer's remorse. At all. It really is a fantastic experience.

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect by any means but it works very well. Never felt sick and the tracking is perfect. I can throw the Vive controllers into the air and catch them without taking the headset off.

What's money for if not to enjoy yourself with? You only live once and I've been wanting this technology since Nintendo tried it way back when and Lawnmower Man was a film. It's here. It works brilliantly and it uses lasers. Where game devs take this I can't wait to find out. The potential is staggering. The software available right now is varied and exciting. Vive is love. Vive is life.