Author Topic: i59 Focus Group Feedback  (Read 1969 times)

Wooly

• Registered Forum Member
    • View Profile
i59 Focus Group Feedback
« on: December 11, 2016, 16:22:56 PM »
So there were 7 people at the community feedback thing.  Wizzo was there for 20 mins and Geo for about an hour or so. Discussing all things LAN related.

The key messages were:-
- Geo has now been put in charge of the community and BYOC to make it better. Multiplay have had lots of community managers who are just messengers and can't make change so Geo has been tasked by Wizzo to improve LAN and BYOC experience.
- Next winter LAN will not be at the NEC but is likely to return to Ricoh / Telford and will be a purely BYOC event. (Please don't share outside of this as nothing confirmed and Geo doesn't want it to be widely known)
- They are re-doing the loyalty scheme with 4 Tiers and multiple ranks per teir (Bronze 1 & 2, Silver 1,2,3, Gold 1,2,3 and Plat 1,2,3) You can go up and down the tiers based on attendance but as long as you come to one event per year you will not decay down.  Geo has lots of ideas for the  different grades but fundamentally it will cover discounts, also muting a raffle for platinum holders each event etc.
- Seat picker is rubbish and he knows that. Ticket Factory have been making a new one but it wasn't secure for release for this event, he hopes for either Easter or Summer it will be up and running. New features including being able to book a group of seats, better search, proper layout etc.
- Drinks & Food Prices we mentioned had snuck up and people were not happy to pay for it. Hog roast gone from £5 to £6 for example and no BYOC discount. Geo keen to resolve and offer BYOC discount going forward. We also mentioned alcohol prices are so high for a weekend event that means people all sneak in alcohol. We don't expect supermarket prices but something reasonable (£3 a pint instead of £5 for example) and that people would drink so much more.
- Indoor camping good but showers need a bit of improvement. We said cost was about right. We complained about price of hotels at some events (£300-400) means people cannot come 3 times a year, there is not much they can do to improve this. We asked about allowing under 16's in camping and they can't for H&S and Security requirements for people under 16. Geo also quoted the guy who stood up and started wanking in previous LAN's and their obligation to look after minors (and adults).
- We said we liked the area outside of the BYOC where day visitors could see the LAN but felt it wasn't a comfortable / big enough area for BYOC people in the evening to chill out and suggested to have a better one for iNext.
- We talked about the Insomnia website being too focused on day visitors and not on the BYOC and suggested a BYOC homepage on their website with all relevant info (such as a link to seat picker which didn't mean you have to go through 4-5 links to find it). Geo agrees the website is shite at the moment.
- We talked about getting people at LAN more, having a better community feel and getting more information on the LAN boards around the hall so people can jump on games.
- Lots of talk about the Pub quiz with improvement suggestions that Geo liked. A table picker (similar to seat picker), some advanced tickets to platinum reward members, staggered ticket release, the ability to just buy a few tickets and allocate a number of tables for smaller groups that join up - to stop what's currently happening where a couple of people buy a ticket and then have to sell them to 8 others. Better ability to buy drinks pre-arrival to the quiz to stop having massive queues at the bar.
- Suggested all help departments go to one area of LAN not separate like they are this event - Yellow shirts, Blue shirts, Red shirts all in one place.
- Geo wants to have an MPUK vs punters games and just call them out on the screen so people can join and kill Wizzo lots of times..
- The next LAN will be the first event with the music festival attached. This will be an additional cost, in the same way that Dark room / Pub quiz are at the moment.

I think that was more or less it...

MightyMouth

• eqnl
    • View Profile
Re: i59 Focus Group Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 19:32:11 PM »
- Next winter LAN will not be at the NEC but is likely to return to Ricoh / Telford and will be a purely BYOC event. (Please don't share outside of this as nothing confirmed and Geo doesn't want it to be widely known)

Does that mean next winter LAN and all further LANs going forward including spring and summer or does it just mean winter LANs?

Any word on outdoor camping?

Lykaios

• Game Server Admins
  • Guardian and Listener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 20:41:04 PM »
There isn't any outdoor camping at NEC due to how it is with no grounds to put tents onto, unless you want to try and cross the M42 but don't advise it!

Winter Lan depending on its return to Telford or Ricoh will probs have outdoor camping, but I assume they want winter lan to focus primarily on BYOC'ers rather than the expo festival which happens at Easter + Summer!

LooseCannon

• - if -
  • Community Leaders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 23:48:09 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for sharing. :)